In this article, you’ll learn 2 list building strategies to get those first 100 in the next couple of days. Email is the single most valuable asset you have as a blogger – and your first couple dozen core supporters are some of the most important along your blogging journey.
When you’re working towards your first 100 subscribers, there are two main strategies: friend outreach and the forum strategy.
In almost all cases I recommend the first. But in case you want to go directly into hustling online to get those first precious subscribers, I’ll show you how as well.
List Building Through Friend Outreach
This first list building strategy is exactly as it sounds – reach out to all of your friends, invite them to join your list manually, repeat – until you hit 50 or 100.
You might object, “I write about glass-blowing – none of my friends are into that kind of thing.” Alas, you’re probably right, but it’s not so much that these early people are going to be your customers but that they support and like you and can use their personal networks to promote your list.
Bryan Harris, a list building expert, calls these early friends on your list eager sneezers, or friends of yours who will be willing to share your list with their friends.
So, here’s how to actually do it:
1. Get on your phone, Facebook, or email
2. Send each one a text: “Hey, I’m starting a newsletter thing about X. Want in?” Then, ask for their email.
3. Repeat until you have 50-100 subscribers.
And that’s it!
List Building Through Forums
This list building strategy is where you go find where your target market is, make friends with them online, and get them on your list. This might be through a Facebook group, a private community, or a good old forum. The basic strategy is the same: provide value, provide value, provide value. Don’t ask for anything. Then, after everyone sees how generous you are and that you’re not a spammer, go do an ask for them to join your list and they’ll do it for sure because they know, like, and trust you.
Here are the steps:
1. Go on Facebook and find 3-5 groups related to your niche.
2. Spend a week or two doing nothing but serving.
3. Invite them to join your email list. This might be by having them check out an epic blog post you wrote and having them join your list for bonus content related to the post. Or, you might offer a lead magnet. If you write about how to play cello, you might make a list-building PDF called “5 Tips to Choose a Cello”. Then share it with the group.
4. Consistently serve and occasionally offer even more value in exchange for them joining your email list. You’ll hit 100 in no time!
I really hope you enjoyed this! Leave a comment and let me know what you thought and if you have any questions at all 🙂
By the way, if you haven’t chosen a topic for your blog yet, consider reading this article on blog topic selection to learn exactly how to choose a profitable blog topic!